Monday, October 10, 2011

Hospitality and Food Pushing

I recently returned from another trip into the mountains.  I love my time up there.  The people that I get to spend time with remind me a lot of my family.  They are warm, hospitably, not big on personal space, and love their food.

(Cool pictures not directly related to the story)






So, if any of you aren't familiar with the term "food pushing," it is where you insist one or more times to your guest to eat additional food even after they have clearly communicated their lack of need, want, or physical ability to consume more substance.  My family is known for such behavior, but my new friends take it to a whole new level.  From the moment you enter their homes, to the moment you leave, they will ask you again and again to eat and drink more.  I have finally learned not to eat or drink a thing unless prompted.  This strategy is known as "sand bagging," and is very useful in allowing you to oblige to every offer without feeling completely miserable afterwards.  I had to learn this culture dimension the hard way after consuming a large amount of food within 30 minutes of arriving at my first friend's home.  The hours that followed were very uncomfortable to say the least.  I also learned that it is a sign of honor and respect for them to place the largest amount of food and drink possible before you.  The larger the pile=the happier they are to have you visiting.  This was a relief as I was nervous at first wondering if it was showing disrespect if we didn't finish everything set before us.


These people were very excited about us being with them. (Which kind of made sense as we were the first foreigners to ever step foot in their town.)  This picture was taken after we called of many more drinks that they were still bringing to put before us.  They asked us again and again to have more, and even packed us a bag of stuff to take with us as we left.  I love these people!!!

Interesting side note: I drank my very first Red Bull energy drink.  I thought it was cool that it happened 8,000 miles from America, but I wasn't a fan of the beverage.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! That's quite an assortment of beverages. Were they afraid you'd dehydrate up there? They'll keep your kidneys functioning! Mom

    ReplyDelete