Thursday, October 27, 2011

The Beard

I have been growing my beard for three full months now.  I love it!  I feel more worthy of my Hebrew name, Joshua.  There will most likely not be another opportunity to grow it this long for many years.  If I return to the States and teach I will have to keep myself looking "professional."  "Professional," just another word for boring, right?  I think my beard looks pretty "professional."  Just look at "professional" football players like my brother.  Anyways, I have been thinking about when would be the best time to say goodbye to my dear friend.  Originally I thought I would simple delay it as long as possibly and let him grow and grow.  Then I thought about how tough long goodbyes can be...

Just look at it...

 
NO I mean REALLY look...

I thought the wisest thing to do would be to create a pro's and con's chart.  I mean, I did teach on them all last semester in my 3rd grade class during student teaching.  Practice what you preach, right?  (Feel free to add any you can think of in comments)

It is obvious that there are far more pro's then con's present in this situation.  Therefore, like I taught my students, this should make the decision much easier...but it didn't.  One of my great friends is headed back to America now that his three years over here are finished.  He asked me if I would join him in "the greatest going away present EVER!"  What is it?  I will make you wait till my next post to find out, but it required me to shave my beard.
SO
WITH A HEAVY HEART. 
I GRABBED A PAIR OF SCISSORS,
A STRAIGHT RAZOR, AND BEGAN...
THIRTY
PAINFUL
(physically and emotionally)
MINUTES
LATER...
this appeared.



I thought I might as well have fun with it.  So, I walked through my city like this for most of that day.  And I thought being a foot taller then everyone and white brought on attention.

Here is the final before...

 
and after shots.

6 comments:

  1. The mustache should be a permanent decision. It is definitely professional.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man, of all people I just knew my boy Joshua could keep the beard lol Just messing bro, looks good, glad you shaved ha

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know that Nana will HAVE to weigh in on this one. I kinda missed the beard since you'd gotten it (AND you hair under control) The 'stache looks lonesome! Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is nothing better than a closely trimmed beard, nothing worse than Amish-like bushyness that appears to have things living in it. Your "professional" brother forgets this from time to time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OH my gosh you look like such a kid after rocking the stash! jenn

    ReplyDelete