Friday, December 2, 2011

Double Takes

Since arriving in China, double takes have become a daily occurrence.  I constantly find myself seeing things at a glimpse and thinking, "That couldn't have been, they couldn't have been, or no way" then taking a double take.  I honestly believe I could have a separate blog site all together just devoted to the t-shirts I see people wearing.  Nearly all of the clothes are in English, and people have no idea what they mean.  It is pretty normal to see guys displaying "Girls Rock" shirts or old ladies displaying Playboy bunny ears.  However, bizarre t-shirt choices are nothing compared to some of the random things I see on a daily bases.


Like trees with IV bags...

I'll give you a closer look.  That is a tree with some kind of IV bag attached a tube and needle stuck into the trunk...

This was a little unusual...all of my meat the other day at lunch was in the shape of South Carolina.  Not one piece, like all ten.

This picture displays bizarre moments that my roommate and I classify as "Oh China" moments.  It is kind of the equivalent to "Bless her heart" used in the Southeast US.  This is a PAPER sign stuck to a painted bench.  What does the sign say?  "Wet paint, don't touch"...yep...didn't think that one through.  I saw a nearby bench where they tried to remove the sign...the only paper that came off was that not touching the wood.  (Not to mention this bench went from natural wood to bright yellow)

Another quick example of an "Oh China" moment would be that they just painted the trunks of all the trees on my street with white paint...why?  Jobs.  (Believe me there is much more, but I will move on.)


(Unfortunately, I couldn't find most of the pictures I have collected over time for this post. So I will have to share more at a later date when I find them.)

This was probably my most recent double take.  I went out to get Chinese food with a local friend two nights ago and this is what they put before me...steak, pasta, and eggs...it was delicious, don't get me wrong.  Just not EXACTLY what I expected.  My friend actually wasn't satisfied with me cleaning my plate and ordered me a second round.  Ha ha, I love these people.


2 comments:

  1. Sounds like He's telling you to move back to South Carolina... HAHAHA

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the "oh China" moments, keep them coming. I did not however see the shape of S. Carolina in your meat fold...I think that is a small indication of homesickness. When you begin hallucinations of home (particularly out of food) it is time to pop smoke and come home! BTW, my google account was denied access to your blog. Love you, Jenn

    ReplyDelete