Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Oh So Lonely

If you read my last two posts you may have noticed that I was just back in the mountains for another trip.  Well...this trip was cut short for me due to an eye infection and some kind of cold that is still not wanting to leave.  Since the trip solely consisted of hiking and camping in sub-freezing temperatures my boss and I decided it wise for me to return early.  The real concern was the eye infection that continued to get worse.  Therefore, I bought myself a bus ticket and left early the morning of our fourth day to head back to our city and the international doctors that it held.

That morning I woke up at 5 AM and walked to the bus station only to find my bus full of smoke.  A great sign when you are preparing to descend 8,000 feet.  After allowing a few minutes for the smoke to escape I reluctantly loaded onto the bus for the 6-7 hour ride down.




Soon after we got rolling a scene presented itself that I will not soon forget.  As I sat there observing my surrounding I noticed how lonely the situation appeared.  They were unable to close the window infront of me after the smoke incident so sub-freezing wind was pouring in.  Therefore, I was cold, sick, in minor pain, tired from the early morning, sitting in the dark, surrounded by 35 people that didn't speak my first language, and adjacent to the stereotypical "overly affection couple."  Then a few rows behind me someone began to play a song for all to hear on their phone.  "Mr. Lonely" by Akon.  It is a remix off the original Bobby Vinton song "Mr. Lonely."  At that moment I just started laughing aloud to the stares from all those around that had no idea what the lyrics even meant (I'm not really sure why everyone over here listens to American music even if they don't speak a word of English).

 
Here is the overly affectiate couple.  (Yes, she is sitting in his lap)  I was able to keep my breakfast down despite all the PDA....but he wasn't.  He started puking not long after this picture was taken.


It was at that moment that I didn't feel lonely in the least. Sure there have been moments of loneliness during my time over here. It has been difficult for me not being able to break out in "real" conversations with strangers on the street. However, during this situation in particular all I could think about was the amazing promise that I will never be left alone. So, I enjoyed my Company the whole way home while listening to songs about Him on my Ipod.   It ended up being a great time.


Another reason to not feel lonely?  I just hit 5,000 views on my blog since I started it at the end of June.  Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment