Sunday, July 24, 2011

Injury Update and Cool Asian Stuff

So, as you may have read in my last post I was indeed in a pretty vicious biking accident.  I made it out of the incident a lot better off than my bike.  However, after three days of shoulder pain I finally headed over to a local hospital.  Thankfully I went with someone who spoke Chinese or else I would have been in some major trouble.  I mean lets be real, how many of you already feel like your doctor is speaking another language?  It was a pretty short visit that began after the receptionist handed us the keyboard threw the window to type my name that she couldn't read.  After an x-ray by my four and a half foot radiologist (who insisted on putting a little protective hat on my head herself, only took a few tries and some good balancing) a group of interns determined that my shoulder is separated and a few weeks in a sling should heal me right up.  Final bill: 150 Yuan (around $23, got to love this place).

Well before the biking accident my days consisted a lot with meeting people through playing basketball and rugby.  Since I now have a bum left shoulder and even running bothers it I had to find an alternate activity.  So, I bought myself some Ping Pong paddles and have spent my last few days getting humbled by children and pelted with speeding orange hollow balls by adults.  No seriously this is NO JOKE.  You figure that out quickly after entering the caged in area of 28 blue tables filled with people pouring sweat.  Somehow I gain the courage to return each day...

This was awesome!  I walked up on a party going on in the streets yesterday.  These are Asian women, dressed in Vegas style apparel, dancing to Latino music, to do what?  Celebrate the grand opening of a grilled fish restaurant...it's fantastic.

The people were eating it up (well and drinking it up as they were passing out free mugs filled with the darkest/thickest looking beer I have ever seen).

Now for some more awesomeness!  If you can handle it?

Not exactly sure what these little treats are, but they sound wonderful.

Pringle's go all out over here.  Flavors include "Crab," "Seaweed" (I've had), "Fish Balls," "Spicy Fish Soup", etc.

THE GRAND FINALE, Jackie Chan is on my shampoo bottle!  My hair has never felt so smooth, full, and strong.

3 comments:

  1. Prayers to get well soon! YOU are having a fab time tho! Be safe! Keep it coming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're hilarious. I'm dying to know how the "spicy fish soup" pringles taste. Who knew...? Glad you FINALLY went to the doctor. I'm sure your ping-pong skills will improve quickly. Love you. Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Josh Austin... how in the world have you managed to hurt yourself so soon?! Were you showing them how to dance to the chumbawamba when you took out your shoulder?! lol Well I assume you survived the biking incident do to the Jackie Chan like moves you received by using his shampoo. Better keep on using that stuff throughout the rest of your trip. Just don't drop it in the toilet... ;) Keep these stories coming cuz they are hilarious!!! :)

    ReplyDelete