Monday, January 30, 2012

Reverse Culture Shock

During my time in China, I did experience some instances of culture shock (culture stress), but they were pretty few and far between.  The most difficult of these was certainly the language barrier.  I have visited multiple countries where English is not prominent, but these trips were a week or two and spent primarily with other English speakers.  Therefore, spending most of my day alone in China where nearly no one speaks English was quite an adjustment.  However, it is one thing to experience culture shock in a different culture...it's another to experience it in your own.

Upon being picked up from the airport I had a bag of Chick-fil-A placed in my lap (which was weird enough since I was in New York) and was rushed to the bakery of bakeries,  Rockland Bakery in Nanuet, New York.  Now I had heard of this place before and had even read about it on my oldest sister Keri's blog, but seeing is believing.  That place is massive, and coming from a country that doesn't really do bakeries...it was a  shock.


I've seen Asian 10 year olds smaller than this loaf of bread...

Back to the land of refrigerated milk...

and bulk packaging (27 packs of crackers!)

and apples the size of your head covered in chocolate, caramel, and nuts.  (Thanks Thomas and Marge) 

There is even so much food that people in America make it into art work...

No comments:

Post a Comment