Saturday, August 13, 2011

First Week in the Mountains

I recently returned from my first trip into the mountains.  It was a nine day trip that comprised of a lot of firsts.  Our base camp was in a town just under 10,000 feet, but we spent a lot of our time between 12,000 and 13,000.  Nothing in a range filled with 20,000 feet plus mountains.  I have many stories to follow in later posts, but this will be more of a picture dump.


Picture from the bus ride up

A temple we visited.  This was actually by far the smallest.

Countless prayer wheels

Just a cool two story bridge I crossed while biking

An early dynasty statue in front of the thickest standing gate left from the original Chinese dynasty.  It is pretty cool that it has lasted thousands of years, other parts of the wall have been rebuilt since the Japanese bombings of WWII.

The Yaks and sheep were king of both road and field

Who needs a Minivan?

Standing thousands of feet above a section of the Yellow River.

This little guy and his friends were blocking the road stopping each car to ask for cigarettes...little entrepreneurs.

Taller mountains in the distance (I'm already standing at over 11,000 feet).

Wearing my local clothing

Cool looking bridge

Riding through the plains on horseback

Like I said there are many stories to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment